Monday, September 15, 2008

Katie's Request


Dinner was Katie's request tonight. She wanted butterfly noodles so I made Turkey Sausage and Broccoli with mini-Farfalle (butterfly noodles). We also had garlic bread on the side. She and I love this dinner, so we make it when it's going to be a girl's-night-in. The boys and the biggest boy are having a fish fry tonight so they aren't home.
They look forward to this particular night every year..."what night is that?" you ask. Well.... it is the opening day of gigging season. Here in Van Buren, on the banks of the crystal-clear Current River, gigging season runs from September 15-January 31 every year. It is when it is legal to go out at night, on your boat with high-powered lights rigged up on the front, and try (key word) to stab fish with a looooong pole with a 4-prong metal gig on the end of it. I know. Believe me. I have lived here my entire life and have only went once. Not the desire to go, mind you, but just to show my hubby that I have no business out there! I was cold, damp, and miserable the entire time...needless to say, I haven't went since. But the men and boys all look forward to it so much! Today wasn't the best opening day, though. Ike dropped a lot of rain here and upriver yesterday = a swollen, muddy river. But they were going to try to go and get enough to eat for dinner anyway. Jack, my dad, the boys, and our nephew Brad were all going in our boat tonight. Most of you probably can't even imagine what I'm talking about and that's ok. If I hadn't seen it for myself all my life, I probably wouldn't believe it either. :0)

3 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I used to call farfalle noodles "butterfly noodles" as well!! Haha, how funny :0) Giggling season sounds fun! :0)

Anonymous said...

I would rather eat butterfly noodles than 'gigging' too...I don't live very far away and I've never heard of it! Dinner looks delish :)

~Bridget

Jenna said...

Hey Erica! Just hoping everything is okay since we haven't heard from you in a few days...!

Survivor Spotlight Saturday

Hello!! Is it absolutely beautiful where you are this morning?!  Holy cow, if not you should high-tail it to southeast Missouri, ‘cause it...