Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Let’s Get Scanned

Soooooo, here it is Wednesday and I’m just now posting for the first time this week.  Oops! 

I actually started a post on Monday after I got home from my long run (10 miles), but got called away to do something else and there my post sat-unfinished and alone until I finally got home at 845 that night from Katie’s gymnastics class.  I was totally exhausted and out of inspiration so I just did the necessities [Sorry!] and fell into bed around 10.

Yesterday was more of the same, except it didn’t involve a run but DID involve a trip to PB with the hubs and a lunch date. Smile  I love him.  We are giddy-happy together.  Especially yesterday.  I promise I will fill you all in, in a few days.

Patience, people, patience.Winking smile  I know-it’s not my strong suit either.

So back to Wednesday.  Today has involved:

  • a big cup of coffee,
  • an even BIGGER load of laundry,
  • a 5-mile run on a tender ankle Annoyed,
  • some Jillian for strength-and our BONE HEALTH, GIRLS!,
  • some office work,
  • and eating my weight in watermelon.

Now it’s already after noon and I AM taking time to blog.  I’m actually also taking time to check into the details of my PET scan, which is Friday. 
 IMG_3055

You may remember from this post, that at my last check-up with my oncologist, which went great, I mentioned about getting a new body scan.  I haven’t had any scans (other than mammograms and breast MRIs) since before treatment began and I feel like I really need to SEE that I am still in remission and cancer-free.  Even though my dr doesn’t not necessarily feel like there is any indications to order such a scan, he obliged and ordered a PET scan for me anyway.  We heart him.

SO, Friday is scan day.  I’ve been looking over the details because I’ve never had a PET scan before.  CT scans, bone scans, MRIs, mammograms- YES…but no PET scan.  I’m going to consult with Tiffany before Friday and get more details from her, but I noticed on my sheet that I am to eat a low-carb diet the day before the scan.

WHAT??  I’ll STARVE!!

I am marathon runner!  Carbs are my life!!  Everything I eat has carbs.  Not to mention that on the couple of times I have tried a low-carb type diet in the past [I mean WAY PAST here, y’all] I was not a pleasant person to be around.  It was brutal.  Oooh-weee!  So I’m trying to get my mind thinking about what I’m going to eat tomorrow that’s not high sugar/carbs.  Of course I’m over-acting this…I’ll manage.  But still!

But I did notice one big bright spot to the whole test process- other than it showing that I am still in remission of course.  Check this out:

IMG_3056

Do you see what I see??!! 

“…rest quietly for 45-60 minutes…” 

Oh yeah, I can totally do low carb for this.  A PET scan may be a busy momma’s dream.  I’ll let you know!

And the mammogram is well, routine.  I’ve had plenty and since I still have my boobies, I’ll have many many more. 

LADIES, DO NOT DISREGARD THE IMPORTANCE OF GETTING YOUR MAMMOGRAMS.  They save lives.  Period.  What are you waiting for??  A quick and simple test to ensure that you have healthy TA~TAs is so worth it.

I personally am still laughing after watching this: 

I mean, really, if Jack Black can do it so can you. Laughing out loud

Have an awesome day, guys.

Love y’all!

xoxo

2 comments:

Dixiechick said...

I just wanted you to know that I admire you so much! I have been reading your blog for awhile, and never commented, at least that I can recall. You have such amazing strength. I enjoy reading your post every day and secretly getting jealous over your amazing runs (lol)....Hope you have a wonderful Labor Day weekend with your famly.

Dixiechick said...

Oh, and good luck with your scan!