Wednesday, December 8, 2010

For Elizabeth

I was so saddened on Monday evening when I heard on the news that Elizabeth Edwards’ battle with breast cancer had reached the point where there were no more medical options for her.  My Facebook status spoke of the raw emotion that I felt:

Erica Griffin Breast cancer...you suck.

Fight Pink » Elizabeth Edwards Posts Apparent Goodbye Message

www.fightpink.org

Monday at 8:19pm Friends Only ·Like Unlike · Comment · View Feedback (9)Hide Feedback (9) · Share

As my heart and my mind were just beginning to come to terms with this piece of news, I was hit in the face yesterday afternoon with the Breaking News that came across my MSN home screen that she had passed away.  Whoa.  Already?!  Clearly she had known far before her family had made the public announcement about her status, but for those of us who were just beginning to digest the information from the day before, it was like a gut-punch. 

I read the headline with disbelief and tears in my eyes.  My next Facebook status read:

Erica Griffin So, so sad...way too young:-( But then again, any age is too young to die from breast cancer. Praying that we find a cure ♥

Fight Pink » Elizabeth Edwards Passes away from Breast Cancer at the age of 61

18 hours ago Friends Only ·Like Unlike · Comment · View Feedback (10)Hide Feedback (10) · Share

What instantly stood out in my memory was when the Stand Up To Cancer telecast was on, how her participation in the program hit so close to home with me.  You can read that post here.  She was indeed a woman of grace and courage combined with a warrior’s spirit.  My prayers go out to her family and friends; that God may comfort them and wrap His arms around them.  Despite the sadness I have to smile when I think of the reunion that she and her son, Wade, are having right now…  Thank you, Father, for the assurance of such wonderful reunions that we can find through a relationship with You.

I don’t really know how to explain my feelings about Elizabeth’s death.  I mean, it’s not like I KNEW her or anything.  But I totally identify with her.  When I heard that she was first diagnosed at Stage 3, my heart skipped a beat.  Suddenly, all the “what ifs” start to run through my head and before I know it my thoughts are a whirlwind of fear.   

There is something inside of me that cries when I hear of another women that has died of breast cancer.  And the tears are followed by a fire that rages for the search for a cure.  It’s enough to make me go out and buy test tubes and beakers and droppers, and all sorts of other “scientific stuff” and start mixing up concoctions in my own kitchen.  Of course I highly doubt the ol’ baking soda and vinegar experiment would do the trick.  [Sad that that’s my only memory of science experiments throughout school, huh? Winking smile

I suppose I had better leave it to the professionals who work so hard day-in and day-out to find new and groundbreaking treatments for breast cancer; like Dr. Dennis Slamon who invented my target drug, Herceptin, for my HER2+ cancer.  Yeah, I’ll let the professionals handle this one. 

Thankfully, I serve the one “PROFESSIONAL” who never lets me down.  He also answers to Comforter, Prince of Peace, Everlasting Father, Counselor, Wonderful, Mighty God, Jehovah, Abba Daddy…I could go on for pages (after I looked them up, heehee).  He steadies my thoughts when they are threatening to do some serious damage in my thought closet, and speaks to me slowly and steadily,

“Erica, I KNOW the plans I have for you.  Plans to prosper you and not to harm you.  Plans to give you HOPE and a FUTURE.  You are my CHILD, girl, I’ll never let you down.  Don’t be afraid, just believe in Me.” 

And I am so thankful and so in love with my Abba Father, that I can only sit back and bask in His grace.  When life starts to spin out of control, give it to Him.  Trust Him, and trust that He’s got this…and He’s got you.

Elizabeth left some beautiful words for her family and friends before she passed away:ELIZABETEHEDWARDS

Rest in peace, Elizabeth.  Your legacy will live on through your children.  You will be missed, Survivor Sister.

Love you guys <3

xoxo

No comments:

Survivor Spotlight Saturday

Hello!! Is it absolutely beautiful where you are this morning?!  Holy cow, if not you should high-tail it to southeast Missouri, ‘cause it...