Thursday, October 2, 2008

Post Op

It's over! In my "game to recovery" from breast cancer, I have rounded first base! My surgery went off without a hitch yesterday. I went into the or around 11:15am and it took about 2 hours. They did the lumpectomy, using the same incision from my last procedure and cleaned that site out. They also put in a port for future blood work and chemo, and then took all the lymph nodes out from underneath my arm. We took them all out because the biopsy showed a couple of them positive for cancer, and when she was taking them all out yesterday she said she saw the couple that looked abnormal, but the others looked fine. So I am praising God today for the smooth procedure, and that the outcome will be just that. I have never had general anesthesia before, so we weren't sure if I would have any side effects from it or not....I did. I was so nauseous from the time I woke up until about 9:30pm. It took a couple of different kinds of medicine to take it all away, I'm sure glad they figured it out! That was probably the most miserable I have ever been. My pain isn't too bad, mostly just really uncomfortable. But not too bad that I couldn't sleep; I was exhausted. It was the constant checking of my vitals, emptying my drain, shutting off my beeping iv that woke me every once in a while. But it must be done.

We will be going home today, thankfully. It will be little crazy getting out of here today. We are on the campus of WashU here in St. Louis, the site of tonight's vp debate. It kinda exciting with everything going on...satellite trucks all over the place, secret service sweeps, and the general preparations, it's really neat! We are watching cbs on tv and they are broadcasting right across the campus from us, but I'm ready to get back to my babies and my house. I hope the ride is comfortable and quick! Thank you again for all your thoughts and prayers...I felt so calm going into surgery yesterday, and I know that kind of peace only comes from God. I'll post again later, probably when we get home. Home, yay!!


chandra said...

It is SO great to hear that everything went smoothly and to hear your positive "voice" after it all. :) You are an amazing woman!! I'm wishing you a quick, comfy ride home today!!

Sarah said...

Yay Erica! I am so glad the surgery went well despite the side effects from anesthesia. God be with you during your recovery which I hope and pray goes just as smoothly. Great news about the lymph nodes too! Have a safe trip home, talk to you soon :)

VeggieGirl said...

Erica, I am so relieved and elated that everything is well - enjoy your time at home. And amen!! :0)

Bridget said...

So glad to hear that it went well! Hope you guys got of crazy STL ok and that the drive back was easy. Best wishes for your recuperation at home.

Sammie said...

I was thinking about you while I was painting yesterday and wondering how you were doing. I am so glad to hear that everything went smoothly. Sorry you were so ill from the anesthesias at least it goes away, right :)
Get lost of rest - you deserve it.
Lots of hugs to you girlfriend!!!

Sarah said...

Erica, friends of our from church (who recently moved out of state) have a blog and have been sharing their experience with cancer. I thought about you when I read this post:

Have a blessed day!