Thursday, October 23, 2008

What A Day!

Me waiting in pre-op! Au-natural!
Kim and Jack waiting with me...doesn't he look excited?!

Me and Kim...1st post op pic!


WOW! What a day we had yesterday! As far as the pics, I hate that you can't wear make-up or contacts! Just a little mascara would've helped! Ha! So yesterday Kim and I went to the fitness room at the hotel and walked a couple of miles; I didn't want to overdo it, though because I couldn't eat or drink anything after midnight. So we did that and headed over to the medical center to get our surgery on! I was so excited when my surgeon came in and said that we could do it with a local and a MAC (monitored anesthesia care), which means the local area will be numbed up (obviously!) but the anesthesia consists of a "don't care shot" and light sedation, which doesn't require the tube down the throat, basically you are breathing on your own. You come of out of it faster, and greatly decrease your chance of sickness. Now that's what I'm talking about! But they did give me plenty of anti-nausea medication and I requested no morphine, because we're not actually sure which made me sick.


We did the procedure, everything went perfect, woke up great and was ready to go about 1 1/2-2 hrs. later. We were on our way home, in search of a Starbucks, and I thought my bra was too tight. So I had Kim loosen it and it still felt tight. As I felt my breast, it was hard and huge! We're talking like Girls Next Door huge! And standing up all perky! If it wasn't so painful, I would've told them to make the other side match! LOL! Anyway, I called them and they said to come back and let them take a look, some thing was not right. It really hurt by the time we got back, only about 15 mins. later. My surgeon was finishing up another procedure and so she came to take a look and apparently a blood vessel was bleeding under the skin. And building up, BIG! So unfortunately that meant another trip back to the OR. Ugh. So they restarted my iv, and we did the local again and she went in and cleaned it up. She said it was still bleeding a little so that was good, she could see exactly where it was coming from. She tied it off and waited awhile to check it all out, then reclosed the incision. That poor place on my boobie! It has been opened and reopened now 4 times! :-( After that she said we could stay or go home, it was up to us...of course we opted to come home! I'm so glad we did! Our kids were so glad to see us and we were SO GLAD to see them!! But even through the extra procedure, it was going to be hard to get me down after the fabulous news we had gotten the evening before!


When we get the path report for this procedure, it will hopefully show all clear margins and I will be cancer-free! All that would need to happen now is to take my medicine...chemo and radiation. I am over the moon excited about the clear scans and that my procedures are over! God is so good! He has had His hand on me throughout this whole ordeal, and I am praying that He will continue to guide us and watch over us. I hope you all are having a great Thursday!
"Great is the LORD and most worthy of praise; His greatness no one can fathom." Psalm 145:3









4 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Ahhh what a day, indeed!! Thank goodness it's over and you're here!! I'm still praying for you, of course!!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness you are alright now. I just stopped upon your site for the first time, but would like to let you know that you are in my prayers.

Fitnessista said...

thank goodness!
i'm beyond elated to hear that everything is going well...
i'm praying for you everyday :D

Unknown said...

Hi Erica, I just wanted to drop you a line and say how much I have enjoyed being a silent reader of your blog. I also wanted to let you know that you have inspired my through your faith in Christ and I myself have received a blessing through your faith. As a SAHM on a son (2) and one on the way (Jan)I hope to live and lead with the same faith and strength that you do, so thanks! We are pulling and praying for you here in AZ!

Survivor Spotlight Saturday

Hello!! Is it absolutely beautiful where you are this morning?!  Holy cow, if not you should high-tail it to southeast Missouri, ‘cause it...