Thursday, January 22, 2009

Shakin' It Up

I decided a couple of days ago that I needed to get back to a little strength training. Squats (blech), jump squats (double blech), lunges, pushups, etc...you know the drill. Swimsuit season will be here before we know it, and breast cancer or not, I still want my booty to look decent in a swimsuit! LOL So a couple evenings ago I did some squats and lunges while watching tv and this morning I a broke out an old routine that I haven't done in forever. Ya'll know I love my running so I can't cut that out, so I just add to it by doing a little calisthenics. I use a format that I found on Self.com's Fit In Fitness Blog. Here's what I do:



  • Take a deck of cards and shuffle them; lay them out on a table where I can draw from them.
  • Label 4 pieces of paper with a suit (clubs, spades, diamonds, hearts) and an exercise. I use squat jumps, lunges, pushups, and jumping jacks.
  • Do 10 minutes of cardio. I run for 10 minutes (surprise, surprise!).
  • Draw a card from the deck and do whatever exercise matches the suit of the card I draw, the number on the card is the number of reps. K, Q, J are 10; A is 11. Keep drawing cards and doing exercises for 5 minutes.
  • Repeat 10 minutes of cardio and 5 minutes of calisthenics 2x, or as many times as you wish.

This is such a great way for me to work out! Because I love to run and not so much the other stuff, this is a good way for me to get both. I usually do this workout for an hour. This morning I ran a total of 5 miles. Woohoo!

Have a great Thursday bloggies!!

**Please say a little prayer that all my blood work looks good tomorrow and I will be "broadcasting" from Pod 4 and Chemo #5!!!**

5 comments:

Bridget said...

What a fun way to do strength training! Good luck tomorrow!!

Mrs. LC said...

Fun workout! I need to incorporate some fun things into my workout routine. I've been so unmotivated with my schedule all off wack and trying find a new sense of routine. (Don't get me wrong, PRAISE JESUS for my new job, but it is hard to adjust to a completely new lifestyle after half a year of unemployment!)

Praying everything goes well for you for treatment #5! Love ya girl!

Melody said...

That is a great idea Erica!! Good Luck tomorrow! I will be thinking of you! Just think....you're almost done! You Go Girl!

Anonymous said...

Hey girl! I am praying for you today and good luck with your next treatment. You are such an inspiration, I love that you have not let this cancer stop you from being fit and working out. You are amazing!

Keri said...

So funny....I've actually done this with the cards! Thanks for the reminder!

Survivor Spotlight Saturday

Hello!! Is it absolutely beautiful where you are this morning?!  Holy cow, if not you should high-tail it to southeast Missouri, ‘cause it...