Monday, February 23, 2009

Runner's Prayer

"Run by my side;
Live in my heartbeat;
Give strength to my steps.
As the cold surrounds,
As the wind pushes me,
I know you surround me.
As the sun warms me,
As the rain cleanses me,
I know You are touching me.
Challenging me, loving me.
And so I give you this run.
Thank you for matching my stride.
Amen."

How beautiful is this prayer? I found it this morning while looking around online. I try and remember every morning when I am running to "thank God for this run." For the desire, the ability, and the strength to run, and to never take it for granted. Of course, since I am a treadmill runner for the most part, for me I would probably change a few lines of the prayer to say:

"As the walls surround,
As the music pushes me,
I know You surround me.
As the fan cools me,
As the sweat cleanses me,
I know You are touching me."


Maybe cute, but I would love be able to run outside more often. Reasons include, but are not limited to, 1) scheduling, 2) children, 3) temperature, and 4) chicken-ness of running by myself. And I hate it, too, because we live in "God's Country" where we have woods, trees, rivers, springs, state parks - all perfect for the most beautiful, awe-inspiring runs. But instead of lamenting on my daily missed opportunity when I am in my basement office pounding out the miles, maybe I should focus on those rare and marvelous opportunities when I DO get to go for a run outside. Because I truly savor every moment when I do...thanking God the whole time.

5 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

SUCH a wonderful, beautiful prayer.

Bridget said...

Beautiful prayer! I haven't been running outside much lately either (too cold!!), but when I did a couple weeks ago, I used some of the time to pray. I can't believe I had never done that before, it was amazing! I truly felt like God was surrounding me. I need to remember to do that more regularly inside AND outside.

RhodeyGirl/Sabrina said...

gorgeous prayer.

Unknown said...

Thank you Erica! Biscuits has a bug..a fever and a bug...and mommy's sinuses are draining. Go figure. All is well, we will survie! How are you feeling?

Fitnessista said...

what a beautiful prayer
thank you so much for posting it <3
have a wonderful day!

Survivor Spotlight Saturday

Hello!! Is it absolutely beautiful where you are this morning?!  Holy cow, if not you should high-tail it to southeast Missouri, ‘cause it...