Friday, April 22, 2011

Thirty-Three


"God so loved the world that He gave His only

begotten Son." John 3:16

I learned something at church this past Sunday.  Not that I don’t learn something new every Sunday (really, I do!), but this time it was different and it has been stuck in my head all week.

Our choir did an amazing cantata and dramatization of the Easter story.  During one of the readings, the narrator said,

“At the age of thirty-three years old, Jesus died on the cross.” 

 

Now this is something that I have probably heard my whole life but never focused on until now.

Why?

Because I am thirty-three years old.  Wow, that really puts some real-life, real-time perspective on it for me. 

Not that I ever doubted the death and resurrection of Jesus, but because I think from reading it and hearing the Easter story told throughout my life by Sunday School teachers and Bible stories, it can become almost story-like, kind of like a fairy-tale.  I think that is why I latched on to such a tangible piece of information from the choir’s program on Sunday…

…Jesus was my age.

Jesus’ life on earth was oh so real, and far from a fairy-tale.  His crucifixion was brutal as He was beaten, whipped, and spit upon, amongst other horrific things.  A crown of thorns was pushed into His head.  He was made to carry His own cross to Calvary where He was nailed to the cross with stakes, then crucified between two criminals. CRIMINALS! 

A man who brought nothing but peace, and love, and kindness to this earth was brutally killed…at the age of thirty-three.

The thought of it brings tears to my eyes; even as I type the words, I cringe.  God’s only and perfect Son, just a mere thirty-three years old, was sacrificed for our sins so that we would not have to suffer the same fate.

For ME and for YOU.  When he was MY AGE.

What amazing love He has for us…wow…  Every time I think about it, I just shake my head in awe.  And say, “Thank You, Jesus.”

Remember the sacrifice that was made for us this Good Friday.

Hugs to you, friends.

xoxo

Remembering-Good-Friday

No comments:

Survivor Spotlight Saturday

Hello!! Is it absolutely beautiful where you are this morning?!  Holy cow, if not you should high-tail it to southeast Missouri, ‘cause it...