Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Another Kind of Exercise

Normally when I use the term “exercise” on this blog (or anywhere else for that matter), I am talking about the cardiovascular-type.  For me, that’s running. 

But yesterday I participated in another type of exercise ---> My right to vote.

October10 004

I had a unbelievably crazy day, so I didn’t make it to the Courthouse until around 330, after I picked the kids up from school…not the ideal time to go vote.

Or is it?

The boys had to check on their savings accounts at the bank next door so while they went and did that, I took Katie with me and we did our civic duty…we voted.

October10 005

She asked A MILLION questions and chatted me up the entire timeWinking smile

  • “What’s DEM and REP?”
  • “Which one did you vote for, Mommy?”
  • “What is that one about?”
  • “I’m squished in here, Mommy, are we about done?”
  • “Can I take that pencil home?”
  • “WAIT!  I wanted to put the paper in!!”
  • “I wonder if the boys are done.”
  • “I’m hungry, can we go????”

You get the gist.  I answered her questions as best I could, explaining the process to her and telling her why we vote.

Why?

american%20flagBecause we live in the United States of America, where we are free to live, work, worship, and choose our leaders and our laws as we see fit.  And thanks to the men and women who have sacrificed their own lives, we can continue to be such a great nation and we have a voice.  Voting in elections is not only a right, but I believe it’s our duty and our responsibility as Americans.

[You think she got all that right?  Right.]

So with that, I said a prayer that God would guide me to vote for the right people for the jobs.  And now, as the returns have come in and the votes have been counted, I pray that He would guide and direct our newly chosen leaders.  That He would give them wisdom, and compassion, and a strength to do what is best for our country.

There was a statement in my “Streams” devotional book yesterday that I loved:

“Our prayers are God’s opportunities.”

Love it.  Love Him. 

May we give Him many opportunities today, friends.

Love you!

xoxo

No comments:

Survivor Spotlight Saturday

Hello!! Is it absolutely beautiful where you are this morning?!  Holy cow, if not you should high-tail it to southeast Missouri, ‘cause it...