Friday, October 2, 2009

The Last Hurrah

Well, I don’t know if you can cancer treatment a hurrah, exactly, but when you get to the last day I think it’s certainly fitting!

October 09 039 - CopyTreatment went great today. My very fave nurse ever, Renee, was there with big congratulations hugs and tons of good vibes! I also painted my “Survivor Tile” today that will be hung somewhere around Siteman soon. There are walls of murals of these tiles all around the Center for Advanced Medicine. Each one represents a cancer journey and today I got to paint mine. I chose the verse that has guided me throughout treatment, Mark 5:36, a pink breast cancer ribbon, and my new title of “Survivor.” I had fun painting it. I’ve had a long time to think about what I was going to put on it. October 09 037October 09 041 October 09 043

Jack and I “cheesin” it up for the camera, passing the time! He is so stinkin’ cute!! Yeah, that’s MY man! Hehe;-)October 09 047

OK, here’s where it gets a little ridiculous. We were getting a little bored!October 09 057October 09 058 October 09 046October 09 048 October 09 050October 09 053

But in the end, I got my certificate and a t-shirt, too! October 09 056October 09 055

And then we went to celebrate! Landry’s Seafood House for a late lunch, which of course included the best chocolate cake you can imagine…October 09 059 October 09 060October 09 061

And then we came home and had a celebratory toast with our kids! No worries, it was sparkling strawberry juice ;-)

October 09 063October 09 062

It was a wonderful day. It feels very surreal that I am actually done. I don’t know how to feel about the fact that I don’t have to go back in 3 weeks!

But I am so grateful to God for leading me through the past year. It has been quite the journey that we’ve had, me and Him. I feel like today I’ve lifted my head out of the folds of His robe and begun to look around for the first time in a year. The storm has passed and the clouds are rolling away. But I can tell you one thing for sure, I won’t be going very far. Me and God, we are tight. Inseparable. And I plan on spending the rest of my life glorifying Him and praising Him for my second chance at life.

Right now it’s on to some rest! I’m going to get Katie a snack and get ready for bed. See y’all soon! Love ya!!

xoxo

5 comments:

Mrs. LC said...

Praise the Lord! I am SO proud of you and how strong you've been through all of this! You are so amazing, love. :)

carla said...

HUGS HUGS HUGS!!!

Carla

carla said...

ok
nerd alert.
Im back and rereading this and choked up all over again.

carla

Anonymous said...

Woo hoo! You and God did it girl :) I love the tile, that is such a neat idea. And the celebration looks pretty amazing too. Your friendship, grace, devotion to the Lord, everything has touched me forever. I'm so glad to have "met" you...hopefully will for real someday :)

Keri said...

Ok, so I probably should have asked first, but I linked this post on my blog as a shout out to my very favorite survivor!! Hope it's ok!

Survivor Spotlight Saturday

Hello!! Is it absolutely beautiful where you are this morning?!  Holy cow, if not you should high-tail it to southeast Missouri, ‘cause it...