Sunday, June 13, 2010

Komen 2010: A New Day

Why a new day?  Because this year’s Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure was a completely different experience from last year.  And not just in the look:  June09 006 Komen2010 092

…But in the FEEL.  Last year I was a newbie, so to speak.  My hair was just starting to grow (I had just started going without my wig!), I was still taking Herceptin, in fact I still had 4 months to go…I still had the hysterectomy ahead of me and hadn’t had any scans since I had started treatment.  I didn’t really feel like a Survivor yet.  I was in kind of a funky mood all day long and it was evident to my family and friends also. 

FAST FORWARD TO ONE YEAR LATER…

I was so excited for yesterday’s Komen Race! I have been raising money, and gathering support from family and friends and was totally ready to CELEBRATE!  I can only describe it as a feeling of being free.  I am totally and completely finished with treatments and surgeries (Lord willing!), and I am in my pattern of good labs, good scans, good labs, good scans…  And I finally felt like I could release the Survivor that was hiding inside me last year.  I had the most amazing support of family and friends:Komen2010 035 Komen2010 037Komen2010 055

Komen2010 027

Komen2010 024

Komen2010 025 Komen2010 026

I also was scheduled to do a live TV interview for NewsChannel 5 KSDK at 715am.  I arrived on time and got sat down between the news anchors, got my headphones and mic on, and…we realized that the Survivor Procession was about to start so they told me to go ahead and do that then come right back.  Well, I did but they didn’t have a time slot for me by that time:-(  I did get interviewed by another reporter later, but I haven’t seen the footage yet. Komen2010 057 Komen2010 058 Komen2010 059 Komen2010 060

The Survivor Procession is so amazing.  Over 4,500 Survivors in our matching shirts parading up to the main stage to celebrate and sing songs like “I Will Survive!”  It’s quite the sisterhood, lemme tell ya:-)  I walked with the Survivor Banner at the front of the Survivor Procession because I was a top ten survivor fundraiser and that was such an honor.

Komen2010 064Komen2010 065Komen2010 077   Komen2010 071 Komen2010 076

And then of course, there was THE RACE!  I had it in my mind that I wanted to run with the Survivor that won it last year, having no idea what she finished in.  Ummm yeah, well when the gun went off and she took off it took me about 2 seconds to realize that wasn’t going to happen!  She was off and gone before I had a chance to start running!  So with Tyler, Zachary, and Jack (Yes, I know!  And he ran almost the whole thing!  I’m SOOOO proud of him!  He said if I can beat cancer then he can run 3 miles.  Awwwe!) by my side we ran strong and I ended up being the 2nd Survivor to cross the finish line!!!  I was totally excited!  (BTW, the winner’s time was 19:11…’nuff said;-))  Komen2010 079 Komen2010 080 Komen2010 081  Komen2010 083 

And here’s what it’s all about folks…  I could not be more thankful for him.  komen10hug  Komen2010 087   

Our family last year and this…my how far we’ve come.  (And yes, I promise Tyler DOES have other pairs of shorts!  Geez, what are the chances of that happening?!)

Dad's Camera 078Komen2010 090

 

It was the best day and I thoroughly enjoyed and embraced every part of it.  I was 1 of 70,000+ in downtown St. Louis yesterday (a record for STL AND KOMEN!), and 1 of 4,500 SURVIVORS.  The day raised $3.4 million for Susan G. Komen for the Cure, with 75% of that staying in the St. Louis area…how awesome is that?!  I am so proud to be a Survivor, and every time I think about all I’ve been through I stand a little straighter and feel stronger.  I pray for this God-given strength each and every day and He has never failed me.  He has never left my side and has carried me on days when I know my own legs will fail me.  And I am so thankful that I serve a risen Savior who NEVER FAILS and ALWAYS LOVES.  Thank you, Jesus, for your amazing love.

God bless you, friends.  Love y’all!

xoxo

1 comment:

Sarah @ See Sarah Eat said...

What an awesome day! I loved seeing all the pictures, especially the t-shirts with your name on it :) You are amazing and you have a lovely family! So glad it was a bigger and better experience this year.

Survivor Spotlight Saturday

Hello!! Is it absolutely beautiful where you are this morning?!  Holy cow, if not you should high-tail it to southeast Missouri, ‘cause it...