Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Thank A Vet

Papa and his brothers


Happy Veterans Day
everyone! Are you enjoying a day off from work today, or no? I know some places are open, some aren't. I know I won't have to do my usual errand-running today because of the banks and post office being closed. I'm not complaining:-)



But let's not forget the real reason today is special. Today is the day set aside to honor our military Veterans. So whether they are actively serving in our US military, or have served in the past, please take a moment to thank a Veteran today. Maybe hug his/her neck! They so greatly deserve it, and so much more.

My special vet is my Papa, my mom's dad, who served in World War II. He fought in Normandy on D-Day and drove a U-boat onto Utah Beach on June 6, 1944. He talked about it occasionally throughout the years, and he and my Nana went back to Utah Beach on the 50th anniversary of D-Day in 1994. Here is a pic of them and then the back of picture where Nana wrote on it:

They came to visit right after their trip and they brought us all shirts from Germany and France. Here's the pic of all of us grandchildren with our Nana and Papa:


L-R: Papa, Layne, Kevin, Jessica, Kathleen, Matthew, Erica (ME!), Nana

I had no idea how much digging out these pics would affect me today! I am just overwhelmed with gratitude and thankfulness for our freedom and those who unselfishly serve our nation. And it makes me miss my grandparents, too! Papa passed away on August 12, 1996, and Nana on December 12, 2007. There is no one that loves you more unconditionally than your grandparents and I miss their hugs and all the fun stuff we used to do together. So I'll just say this, if your Nana or Papa are still with us, give them an extra hug today ;-)

So lightening the mood, I had a fabulous run this morning! Katie went back to school today (Hallelujah!) so I headed outside for a beautiful morning run. Here's my stats:

Distance: 6.46 miles
Time: 56:31
Pace: 8:44 minute/mile


See what I'm talking about with my mileage and time lately??
Woohoo!! I'm lovin it!

Have a great Veterans Day, all!

xoxo

2 comments:

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) said...

Loved seeing these pictures. What an awesome idea.

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures of your grandparents :) You are rocking the running too, you go girl!

Survivor Spotlight Saturday

Hello!! Is it absolutely beautiful where you are this morning?!  Holy cow, if not you should high-tail it to southeast Missouri, ‘cause it...